We want your experience with Subaru of New Zealand in both our online and offline environments to be enjoyable and we take care to respect your privacy.
This policy applies to Inchcape Motors New Zealand Limited (Company Number 316837) trading as Subaru of New Zealand (‘Subaru of New Zealand’) and outlines how we manage the personal information we hold about customers, potential customers, contractors and others who come into contact with us, as well as our affiliated companies.
Subaru of New Zealand is bound by the Information Privacy Principles contained in the Privacy Act 2020 (New Zealand) (‘Privacy Act’) that require us to handle your personal information responsibly. ‘Personal Information’ is information about identifiable, living people.
Why does Subaru of New Zealand collect Personal Information?
The primary purposes for which Subaru of New Zealand collects your personal information includes:
- Helping us contact you in the event of vehicle safety and/or product recall concerns.
- To provide you with information about our products and services.
- To inform you of our special offers and events and to facilitate and process your test drive request or your acceptance order of any special offers, products and services.
- To create a better, more personalised experience with Subaru of New Zealand for you.
- To meet our obligations under law.
- To provide information to Authorised Subaru Centres (‘Dealerships’) for contact tracing during COVID-19 in New Zealand.
We use the information we collect about you for the above purposes and/or any other primary purpose which we disclose to you at the time of collection.
Subaru of New Zealand also takes all reasonable steps to provide clear, complete and up-to-date information about our business and the products and services we offer. This includes how to get in touch with us. If you have a concern with the collection or use of your personal information, you can notify Subaru of New Zealand of your concern, make a complaint, obtain redress, or pursue dispute resolution by simply contacting our office on the contact details set out at the end of this policy.
What Personal Information do we collect?
The type of personal information Subaru of New Zealand collects and holds includes names, addresses, contact details and occupations that will assist us in providing you with help about our products and services. We will never collect personal information that we do not need such as health related records, ethnic origin or religion, unless required by law (for example under COVID-19 laws and regulations).
Personal Information Collection
When we collect your personal information, we endeavour to:
- Collect your personal information only by lawful and fair means, generally by forms filled out by you (whether online or in hard copy), face-to-face meetings, interviews, business cards and third parties to whom you have given consent to pass on your personal information (e.g., our Authorised Subaru Centres). From time to time, we may also collect non-personal information, (e.g. information specific to a vehicle or model). This helps us to provide you with improved products and services.
- Let you know whom we are and what we intend to do with your information when we receive it. We strive to be open – upon request we will let you know what sort of personal information we hold about you, how we collect it and how we use and disclose it.
- Take steps to ensure that your personal details are accurate, complete, and up-to-date when we use or collect them. You have the right under the Privacy Act to request changes to your personal information. We encourage you to contact us in order to update any personal information we hold about you.
Personal Information Disclosure
With your permission we may disclose your personal information to:
- Owners and agents of Subaru of New Zealand
- Our Authorised Subaru Centres (‘Dealerships’)
- Insurance companies
- Credit or finance providers
- Other companies or individuals who assist us in providing services or who perform functions on our behalf who are contract bound to protect your privacy
- A third party entitled to request and/or receive it under a process of law such as under a subpoena or court order
- Law enforcement bodies such as the Police, who seek access to your personal information for law enforcement purposes
- Anyone else to whom you have authorised us to disclose it
If you have consented, we may also receive your personal information from these companies and individuals, in which case we will deal with this information in accordance with this policy. Unless otherwise required or permitted by law, if we disclose your personal information to others we will only do so with your consent (implied or express), and we will also take steps to ensure the party to whom we have disclosed your information agrees to protect the privacy of your personal information.
Sending Personal Information Overseas
Some of the entities to whom we may disclose your personal information are located outside New Zealand. We take steps to ensure that such recipients respect the confidentiality of this information by abiding by the Information Privacy Principles or equivalent privacy laws.
These entities may include the actual manufacturer of Subaru vehicles, Subaru Corporation (SBR) in Japan and our ultimate parent company in the UK as well as affiliated companies in Australia.
Other than those listed above, we’ll never send your personal information to recipients outside of New Zealand without obtaining your consent or otherwise complying with the Information Privacy Principles.
Analytics, Sessions and Cookie Tools
With Google Analytics, you can opt out of the collection of this information using the Google Analytics Opt-out Browser Add-on.
Where we send you a direct communication, we always provide individuals with an opportunity to “opt-out” of receiving future marketing communications from Subaru of New Zealand. If you have received a communication from us and don't wish to receive new information from us in the future, contact us on the details set out at the end of this Policy and let us know. Alternatively, you can unsubscribe by following the unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of the email or in the text communication you have received. When we receive your unsubscribe request we will take appropriate steps to ensure your details are marked as “private” on our internal database and/or added to our ‘Do Not Mail’ list to ensure you do not receive any future communication from us. Subaru of New Zealand does not send marketing communications to customers who have asked us to mark their details as private or who have opted out of receiving such information. [NB: your details may be retained in the event that we may need to contact you in relation to such matters as vehicle safety, recalls, warranty and any requirements specified by law].
The Security of our System
We take reasonable steps to protect the security of personal information collected by us. We understand that customers require peace of mind when it comes to the security of providing their personal information to Subaru of New Zealand. We have internal methods to help ensure that your personal information is safe and protected against misuse, loss or unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Where we no longer require your personal information for a permitted purpose under the Information Privacy Principles, we will take reasonable steps to destroy or suppress your personal information.
Updates to this Policy
Our Contact Details
Subaru of New Zealand
PO Box 58 743
Botany, Auckland, 2014
Call Free - 0800 SUBARU (782 278)
Phone (09) 272 7720
Email - email@example.com
To find out more about privacy regulation in New Zealand or to read more about the Information Privacy Principles contact the Office of the Privacy Commissioner:
Office of the Privacy Commissioner
Phone 0800 803 909 (Monday to Friday, 10:00 am to 3:00 pm).
Write to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner at PO Box 10 094, Wellington 6143
As at October 2021.
© Copyright 2021 – Subaru of New Zealand. All rights reserved.